Holes

Holes

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Seems to be a nice book


“Holes”, written by Louis Sachar, is actually a children’s book but I like it so far. It seems mysterious. At the beginning of the book we meet an overweight boy, who is arrested because of a misunderstanding. He goes to the “Camp Green Lake”, which has no lake and is a very different camp, instead of going to prison. In this camp, the imprisoned boys have to dig a hole every day, in order to “build character”, which is a difficult task for the boys because of the hot weather and the dried surface of the “lake”. This is really hard for Stanley as well as the other boys. As Stanley digs his first hole, the writer tells the story of Stanley’s cursed dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather Elya Yelnats, who is blamed by Stanley and his family when they feel unlucky. 
What I liked about this book is, that everything seems to be connected to each other and I guess it has a nice, surprizing ending. The writing style of the writer is a little bit childish but it’s likeable. I think, his simple sentences make you want to read more and they are funny: “[...] they wont bother you. Usually. [...] You won’t die. Usually. [...] You will die a slow and painful death. Always.” (p. 7).The main question in my mind is actually “What is going to happen next?”. Will Stanley be “friends” with those guys? Why does Zero keep quiet all the time? I have to read the book to find out, so that’s all for now.
By the way, there is a movie of this book but it is different from the book in many ways and I liked the book more.

283 words

6 comments:

  1. I don't understand what seemed connected to you in the first hole and Elya Yelnats, maybe you should have been more specific about that. Also since you say "I liked the book more", I understand that you already watched the movie. Why do you pretend you don't know the end and try to look smart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t say that the hole and Elya are connected. I guessed so because Mr. Sir eats sunflower seeds and these yellow-spotted lizards eat the shells of them, so these things seem to be connected. I think more surprising connections will appear. And I just watched the trailer of the movie, not the whole movie. I don’t try to look smart my friend.

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm sorry if I offended you, now I see that it makes perfect sense: Mr Sir eats sunflower seeds and yellow-spotted lizards eat their shells, so the book must have a surprise ending. Also you never mentioned anything about sunflower seeds, try to be more clear in your following posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thing with the sunflower seeds was only an example, there is this lullaby etc. but thanks for the advice.

      Delete
  3. The books are almost always better than the movies, they are always more open to your imaginative mind, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete